Sunday, April 24, 2005

I'm leaving on a jet plane

Well, I'm not leaving as much as I'm moving offices around the corner from where I am. I have about a 15 X 15 office right now. We are renovating and moving in to a 12 x 50 building now. It was a building used for storage for the owner who also happens to own two other businesses right down the sidewalk on the same block as me. They are good clients of mine and when he said he had some space, I was excited. I ended up making a deal on the building (renting) and would be moving in on the "first." My friend and I talked every day or so to see how the cleaning out of the old building was going. Finally at a standstill, I took my employees down there and cleaned it out and started getting ready to move in.

We took down some old painted plaster / wallpaper that was cracking and gross. We ended up deciding that we would hang fabric on the wall that was in bad shape (not structurally) but to the eye.
Well, the night before I started working on this project with the office. I had a rough night of sleep. My neck had a crick in it that was awful. I felt like that robot on Star Wars, when I looked left I twisted at the hip. I was painting, scraping, lifting, cleaning etc... for the last two days. Finally, it seemed to have lightened up some. I hope its gone for good. I wish I had a massage therapist in my family. Oh, wait, I do have one, she just freaking moved to NYC.... Good call Gertrude, we could have used you here you know!
So back to the cleaning, I had my boy Robert helping me doing some painting. Robert is a SR at MSU and will be finished in a couple of weeks. He's going to start his own business too, he's got a pretty mean work ethic when there's beer involved so I did the logical thing. Got 2 bags of ice and a case of beer. Then I was struck with this question: "Do you want to be known as the guy who is down town throwing back the cold ones??"

Well I didn't want to be known like that so we had to sneak the cooler in. It helped with the morale of the work crew. But I don't know about the quality of the work. I was hoping to be moved in on Monday. I can tell you that is NOT going to happen. Maybe Tuesday. If I can get some more helpers!

3 comments:

Batch said...

When we renovated our kitchen, most of the labor (unskilled... demolition, roughing in, etc...) was funded with beer and shrimp po-boys.

Beer= good times, good felloship and good work.

And there is nothing wrong w/ being "known as the guy who is down town throwing back the cold ones". Don't get enslaved by false piety in order to appease your neighbors who errantly believe that beer is bad in a baptist/temperance movement way. Sorry for the rant.

Batch

Kate's Dad said...

I tend to agree in principle. False piety isn't really what I call it. But I guess I'm just trying not to offend the weaker prohibitionist (brothers).

Maybe I just need to get them to have a drink and we'll call it even.
It is amazing what you can get done offering free beer.

Kate's Dad said...

Thanks, come by and see it... Bring a paint brush... You'll need it!