Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Turkey Bloggin

I was awakened this morning at around 4:30 with the sound of my phone ringing. I only have a cell phone, I believe in keeping my overhead low. I've figured that I've saved about 700 bucks so far by not having a "real" telephone. Not to mention the annoying telephone calls from solicitors. Well my phone is set on a ring that I feel like is very polite. "BEEP BEEP" silence "BEEP BEEP"...
you get the point. Well, it rings and scares the daylights out of me which happens to be pretty easy because at 4 am, there ain't much day light. So I jump out of bed grab the phone and manage a "hello?". It was Charlie, my turkey hunting buddy who I remembered later that I had told to call me about going hunting. He said he'd be there in 15 minutes so I got ready and waited. Our last few attempts had been miserable.
We actually managed hear one within about 15 minutes of getting to the woods. We heard one about 2 ridges over, and we lit out trying to be quiet but hurry. It's hard for a fat boy to be quiet. It's harder for a fat boy to walk half a mile carrying a gun, wearing boots, and blazing a trail through thick brush. I think I did a pretty good job. We heard him gobble a couple of more times and were getting all set up. Charlie hit the crow call again but we didn't hear a peep. Something spooked him. (could it be the heavy breathing????) We waited and called and waited. Nothing happend. We ended up leaving by 7:15, but we were encouraged. We also saw one as we were leaving the woods. If I didn't have BNI tomorrow, I'd probably go again.
I talked to Al and Wendall, neither of them had any luck either. It was a good thing we left the woods when we did. By 8:20 we had a terrible storm coming in.
I will have posted on this blog, pictures of a turkey that I harvested...if I have to go to Sunflower to get one...

No comments: