Saturday, March 05, 2005

Crushing Blows and blowouts.

I can't believe it. State just took it on the chin. What a tough loss. Almost as tough as when I killed my Danchan blog. I was just starting to get the hang of it. I guess it was an infrastructure problem. They just couldn't keep up with all of the traffic that I brought to the table. (I'm kidding)

There is a new car dealer in town. More on that later, -- it's not really a new dealer, but it's a dealership that has been sold to a pretty nice family. I talked to the owners last night at the NWTF banquet. That is another story of it's own. So... WHO IS READY FOR TURKEY SEASON?

An interesting thing happened just now going to pick up our car from the car washing place. I have a pretty old Honda Accord. C was driving, I was riding "shotgun rear" -- not shotgun because there are 800 letters to be mailed in that seat. I felt like a reverse driving miss daisy after it all. But anyhow, back to the story, we were making a turn and I hear this funny grinding noise. On an old car -- there's really no such thing as a "funny" noise. Most noises lack humor because they are expensive. C stopped the car and I looked under it in the rear where the noise originated. My exhaust suspicions confirmed, the muffler had rusted completely off the tail pipe and was just hanging down...dragging. I'm lying on my back on the side of Main Street. You can't understand the full effect of this unless you understand what a small town is like. I had 3 calls in about 5 minutes... "You break your muffler??" I told them "naw, I'm just checking for roaches under here..."

So now I have a muffler in the trunk, and a straight pipe exhaust. How much will it cost to fix a car that's probably worth $1500 bucks? Let's hope that it's not gonna cost more than 10% of the cost of the whole car.



3 comments:

Batch said...

Its all your fault. You absolutely CANNOT wash a car once it passes a certain age, especially if you don't wash it often (well, you can't wash an old honda... I'm guessing its not exactly a carefully preserved classic). If you take the dirt off, the whole @#$% thing will fall apart. It doesn't matter whether or not you actually washed the part in question... there is a strange, inverse relationship on old hondas betwen dirt on the body and internal mechanical problems. You should've posted a question on this blog or to click and clack before taking such a silly risk.

Batch

Batch said...

Oh, and you know what else? You should just leave it with no muffler and bolt an old coffee can to your back bumper and ride around all loud and stuff and act like you're trying to be cool like all the kids. Then you could get some wide, low profile tires, fuzzy dice, some bass in the trunk, really dark tinted windows, ground effects, flourescent lime green paint and a 6 foot wing on the back!

Think about it.

Batch

Kate's Dad said...

Oh, I may have confused ya'll by this. I didn't wash the honda, I know better than that. I had the Maxima washed.

The honda must have been jealous about the whole thing, and wanted some attention.