Monday, September 12, 2005

The things you miss, that you don't miss

I've often wondered what I'd do if I had to miss the opening day of Dove season like my buddy Ed did when get not only got married then but had / has his anniversary on opening weekend every year for ever. (Ed, I'm not mad about that -- If you recall I did get to hunt over in La. before your wedding.)

In the past 2 weeks I've missed a couple of things, and not even noticed. First of all, Mississippi State played a football game and -- whoa, they actually won the game. (no, not the Auburn one the other one). There was a hurricane, and there was work that had to be done and I was stopping at nothing to get it done. Didn't hear a play of the game. Not one, couldn't tell you anything about it except that the dogs did win.

Secondly, there is the issue of dove hunting. Traditionally, I try to sniff out a good dove hunt with some friends (even if I have to invite my self) and I look forward to it as the inaugral weekend to football season and more importantly hunting season. Some of my best college memories are of me, ed chandler and lucas cooking up some of the doves that we killed.

Oh, and some of them weren't cooked all the way, but thats another story. So anyhow, I'm realizing now, that I didn't even notice the start of dove season. It never crossed my mind. This summer I've shot skeet no less than 6 times. I've got my timing down, I've got half a case of shells, I have a shotgun ready to rock and roll... But no hunts.... I don't miss it yet. I haven't written it off yet. Maybe I'll take Kate with me. Maybe when she's five she can go pick up birds with her daddy. I can't explain how different it feels to have someone so little be so dependant on you. So needy and so happy when they get cuddled up.

Do I miss dove season? A little, but I wouldn't miss these past 6 days for the world.

(Don't talk about duck season, thats a whole 'nother issue! Just kidding honey!)

No comments: