Sunday, August 21, 2005

Musings and rambles

I've gotten in to a couple of more on-line partnerships this past week. I've got a couple of online gigs that basically make me a commission only sales person for them, my territory being the web and my products vary from t-shirts, to duck & deer calls to corporate gifts.

I sometimes worry about the future of the internet (web desing / hosting) as a business. Software could take the place of web design, but commerce and information dispensing is the driving force behind many web sites. I've even got a sports related venture on the table. I have to be careful, there are some people that think they can get a web site and that automatically the world is going to show up and need what they have and they will do hundreds of dollars in sales every day. That's just not the case, people don't just show up at web sites. It takes "buzz" that marketing excitement to get people talking about and using the products and then, guess what -- you really have to have a good product, and more than that -- you have to have a better product in order to really succeed.
I hope some of my new ventures are this way, I'm sure some will do well, some will flounder, but I know some of these ideas are bound to make their way to the winners circle. I just want to get about 5 G's in recurring monthly income (profit) so that I can do some of the other things that I'd really like to do. I'm not terribly far from that, and I've wondered what will be the thing to push me over the top.

Another fun thing that we've been doing is eBay. Big River Sells is our eBay branch of the Big River Companies. We have had pretty good success selling things on eBay. We are doing school fundraisers, church fundraisers, selling cars, travel-trailers, baseball cards, books, fishing lures (old ones) and a bunch of other stuff. I'm trying to keep 400 bucks a day on there of inventory, and I think we can do that. It has a real potential, but most of the sales we've gotten have been through networking with existing customers and friends. Those of you who know me know that that's about all I'm good at. Ideas, networking and sales, those are my strengths.

We have some other news about Big River coming soon. Probably Tuesday we will have an official announcement on our latest endeavor. We'll make a big announcement.

Speaking of announcements, Kate had us thinking for a while that she might be coming last week. She was having contractions and we were wondering what was going on. It turned out to be Braxton Hicks or something like that but anyhow, not real contractions, but it was exciting none the less. I felt her move soo much last night. I could feel her hard foot poked against C's tummy. I poked back and she'd move, and then put her foot up, and I'd poke back... Unbelievable stuff really. I can't believe she's in there... I can't wait for her to come. We have to go to the Dr's office every week now. That car ride to Jackson and back is REALLY fun for C. She's so miserable in the car... It's hot as fire here... but not inside, inside it's a frigid 55 degrees. Well more like 65. Our AC bill is going to be more than our house note this month. I'm hoping we can sell some good web sites!

Ok... Remember what J. Lake says. "Reading a blog and not commenting is like going to someones home -- and not speaking to them!"

1 comment:

Batch said...

(crickets chirping)....