Monday, August 08, 2005

the idea...

As a child, I was always encouraged to journal. I did a pretty good job of it really, I have one journal that covers from the time that I was 13 or so, until I was a freshman in college. I then started emailing more, and writing less.

I've since gotten another journal, written some in there, but started blogging. It's easier to blog than it is to journal. (I don't know why other than the fact that I can type much faster than I can write.)

Anyone who has a blog on a blog service knows that they are ultimately at the mercy of the hosting provider. Whomever that might be. So here's the idea. Take blogs, using a software programm, and archive them on to a single document that can be printed and bound nicely. Charge by the page, and simply format and have the books printed (I already have that part figured out).

I'd pay 100 bucks to have my journal published if only for my kids and grandkids. If I had years of them on there like some folks, I think it would be well worth it to get it done, and maybe even get a couple of copies, for mom and dad or something... Would comments show up? Maybe? I guess so... Also, another version would put it on a CD that would come with something like an etch-a-sketch device that would play the CD and be an intereactive device like an Ipod, but that would basically play CD's that were documents and photos, replacing the traditional photo album.

Ok, i said it. I'm sure one of you punks will rip off my idea, and i'll be broke... But who thinks thats a good idea? Who would want to insure that their great grand kids knew what we were dealing with?

3 comments:

Batch said...

Could I bind copies of someone elses blog? I guess so... its in the public domain.

Anyhow, I think its a cool idea for people who are serious bloggers. I think maybe in a few more years I might be ready to do something like that. For now though, I'm not sure I want my kids being able to read firsthand how dumb I was (am). You'd probably have to have a per page pricing model or something. You'd also have to be able to capture not only the thoughts/words but the other aspects of the blog as well (pictures, graphics, formatting, etc...) that make each blog unique. Without such the idea loses its appeal.

Bad news though... http://www.blogbinders.com/

B

Kate's Dad said...

That's actually good news. I can use their service and mark up the items and sell them to a different clientelle. Take a 14 dollar blog, and sell it for 50. Good stay at home business for the wife you know.

What about this too... Some people (like barlow) might want to offer a copy of last years blog (hard back edition) for 24.99 with an autograph...
He might could sell 10 or 20 of them to his faithful followers.

It's another idea. Let the blog owner get multiple copies. One more for mom and dad, one for saving in a time capsule... You never know. Might want to get more than that.

Anonymous said...

Hmm....
I like the way you think.
:)