Thursday, June 16, 2005

Is it already Friday?

I can't belive that we are 1 hour away from being friday... This week has flown by. I can't remember another week going as fast as this one seemed to go. RYM didn't seem to go by this fast and that was REALLY fun. I don't know what makes it go by so fast, but I'm sure that being really busy has something to do with it. Business has been wild, cash flow has been more like cash po' this week. I think it has to do with taking a week off a month ago -- the things that take a month to pay, aren't paying right now. Anyhow, it's all coming back to me now. I'm working my cans off trying to get things going with the sales of some of our products. We've been working on a way to refine our message. I heard a brilliant man, Leland Speed talk today about "Knowing what you are selling." Or "Knowing what Business you are in."

I thought about that for a long time... Selling a new car isn't really about selling transportation (that could be a bike or scooter). It's more about selling the experience and the status of driving that brand new (terrible investment) that smells so nice and that is SOOOOO comfortable, and -- so much better than last years model that would have saved you 10 grand. So what do we sell I asked my self... We sell web sites. But we are in the "customer service" business.
I'm not scared to tell people that our hosting starts, rock bottom at $240 for a year. But I'm always quick to tell them that we also give them the owners cell phone number. Try getting the owners cell phone number for 4.95 a month. You can't even get a phone number for that. It doesn't matter if you are 50 times more expensive if you can be counted on to get done what the client needs, when they need it. C gives me a hard time when I carry my cell phone around all the time. I try to gently remind her that the cell phone has paid the bills for the past couple years when it rings. (It's also been a pretty big pain in the @$$ sometimes)

So back to what business am I in. I'd have to say we are in a couple of them. But the MAIN one. Is the customer service business. We take care of our customers. Even if it means taking a loss sometimes on a site. We have to take care of them first and foremost.

Speaking of customers.... I had the great priveldage of being at "Tokros" in starkville when my wife was getting her hair du did. (yes i called it a "hair du") We walked to the counter after it was all over and she said oh so sweetly -- "That will be $125." I almost had a heart attack. I couldn't belive it cost that much. That's a fourth of our mortgage payment to get some hair colored and cut. I must be in the wrong profession. C swore she had no idea it was that much. I swore that she needed to check the freaking prices before ordering. Dang.
Dang.... It still stings... I mean this isn't NYC. It's starkville. Give me a break.

Ok well, I'm about talked out for the night. I'm worn out for shore.... Basketball was fun, I'm not near as sore as I was at first, I guess I need to step up my game some.... If I could just afford new shoes... oh well, her hair looks really good, I'll wear the old shoes some more.

1 comment:

Jess Curtis said...

Um, in New York, you're looking at 235 for starters for that hair cut??