Monday, May 23, 2005

Did I mention I've been busy

Since we've last met. I've been trying to catch up from being gone, and moving in more fully in to the new office. I've been trying to not get too far behind on work, we had a staff meeting today and got our game plan ready on 15 web sites that we are working on.
BRS hired Heath to come work for us. He was with Cellular South and he's joined the Big River team. I can't wait to get him going on some sales calls. We are going to Oxford tomorrow to meet with some property management firms. We've got a game plan to sell about 10 of these systems a month to start with.

Speaking of game plans. I was at someone's house the other night for a party. His first name is Bernard, and well he's most famous for what he didn't know about 11 Billion dollars that disappeared in Clinton. Anyhow if you don't know who in the "world" I'm talking about you probably don't keep up with the news. He was really nice to me and I asked him how he got his start breaking in to the long distance market. He said that they had sales reps that called on businesses and they took it one day at a time gaining market share. I'm trying to do the same. Instead of mass marketing (no offense to you Catholics out there), we are going to hit the pavement first around here, then Jackson, Hattiesburg, Memphis and then move on to Atlanta and college towns across the south.

Ok so there's that. It was pretty interesting to talk to Bernie, but I'd hate to be in his shoes right now. I'm really tired from a long weekend of wedding stuff. C. has been doing that wedding directing stuff and it's about to wear me out. I was a DJ / sound man / official cooler temperature checker at the wedding that she had this weekend. I do have good news, the average temp of the beer in the cooler I checked was "just right" and that was about 14 out of 14 times. (Ok I'm kidding but it was nice and cold). Good for a hot afternoon in Btown.

Well I've been summoned to bed. Ya'll have a good one!

4 comments:

Batch said...

How did you decide to venture out on your own? How did you decide on web development and software? What advice do you have for a friend frustrated by working for the man?

Kate's Dad said...

Well, I wasn't real happy where I was. I wanted to have my own thing. I had a opportunity to have really low overhead (moving to l'ville) and I had a couple of projects lined up that would pay my bills for the immediate future.

I actually have a couple really good ideas and some opportunites that I need some good people to help with. But email me and I'll tell you more about that. There is some new software that we are about to launch and other things that might be of interest or at least give you an idea of what is out there.

kathleen said...

Hobnobbing with the local celebs, I see. Did Bernie give you any good networking (literal and figurative) contacts. I thought that he had been sentenced to a jail term, but what do I know? I imagine that he is still living pretty comfortably despite W-com's unfortunate demise.

Kate's Dad said...

He didn't get me many contacts. Btown is a closed town. There aren't many people who are nice to outsiders. It's pretty much either you are "IN" or you ain't jack %$#@!

I like the town, and some of the people are nice on the surface, but I am much more comfortable being broke and happy here in Ltown being me.

I was in Oxford earlier this week on business, and I happened to stop by the town hall there on the square, and I realized that I was really glad that I didn't live there, I couldn't afford the wardrobe #1. But all the gel in the hair.... mercy....