Tuesday, October 23, 2007

She was a damn good dog.

(note: If you've never loved an animal please don't read any further just go somewhere else -- for the rest of you, I'm pretty sad so just bear with me)
Rosie (bobo) was Cammie and my first purchase together. We got her before we even got married. She went missing on Saturday and our neighbor found her today. She died within 50 yards of our house, and we had called and called for her, and looked all around. We feel pretty sure that someone, (possibly the mean neighbors in the back) poisoned her. She had been fenced in, but when her underground fence wire was cut she didn't seem to notice, and when she did last week, I made an appointment with Cammie to fix it... I guess it wasn't soon enough.

I can't say enough about what a really good dog she was. She didn't beg for food, didn't chew everything in sight. She was great with Kate (who doesn't even know). I'd love to have another like her. I just don't ever see having enough time to spend with her to train her as well, and she'll never be replaced in my heart. We had lots of great memories, her getting "the bird" and hunting with me, playing with Kate. Even the times she got really sick and created gross memories seem fond now.

Rosie, we'll miss you. There won't ever be another like you. Maybe one day Kate will get a granddog of your 20 offspring and raise and train her. You were a faithful partner Bobo, you never let me down. You always admitted when you did wrong. Often before we knew what you did, we knew you did something by that guilty look. You ate Cammie's Nativity scene when we were in Starkville, I'll never forget the laugh we shared after that. I though it was funny, Cammie thought it was a one of a kind heirloom. I'd let you eat anything in the house if you could come back for another 6 years (well anything except Kate). Farewell Bobo, you'll be missed.

2 comments:

Guitta said...

this is so sad and heartbreaking. i am so sorry for your loss. we've been raising a lab puppy and we are so attached we already dread losing her.

Anonymous said...

She will be and is missed very much. Kate keeps calling for her as we drive through the neighborhood from time to time. (we did that on those last fateful days as we looked for her.