Sunday, December 04, 2005

This was a tough one

Tonight at youth we hit our second of 3 talks about relationships. Last week was on parents / children. Pretty simple, obey them in the Lord. Do what they say with a good attitude. (unless its something that is against the Lords will). And part B, fathers don't exasperate your children (did my parents ever get that memo????) .
Well tonight we jumped off the deep end. We talked about "boy-girl" relationships, which I entitled the "marriage talk" because the bible doesn't ever really talk about dating. People were pretty much having sex, either married or not married in the bible. Not a whole lot of dating referenced. You like one, you pick her out and get married. In SOS they wooing is actually done after they are married it seems.

So anyhow, I had the distinct priveledge of telling 20 kids that they needed to not commit adultery, or fornication, and explain what that was. I've always heard all these RUF folks talk about what's acceptable during dating, and they've never really said a whole lot, that would convict someone making out a good bit.... The thing is, I don't think that MT 5:28 leaves much room there:
"But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart."
I've never kissed a girl with out looking at her lustfully in my heart. So I'm pretty sure that folks that aren't married have no business doing that. Is that being legalistic? I dunno, is not shooting someone being legalistic about the commandment "thou shalt not kill"? I know it's got to be pretty un-popular with all the cool kids, and I know I'm guilty of doing that very thing... but I'm pretty sure that we take things way to lightly these days. "oh God didn't really mean you can't (______________) fill in your own blank he just wants you to know to be careful about that.

I'm pretty sure I regurgitated a good bit of what Jeffrey Lancaster (former Ole Miss Ruf and church planter in Memphis now) said at either an RYM or RUF summer conference. I'm glad I learned something in college. I just feel like such a hypocrite teaching about being pure. I'm such a liar... But the fact that I'm not perfect doesn't make the truth not the truth.
Thankfully...

I got a palm treo, and wrote a post from the deer stand. I'll put it up tomorrow if i get a chance. The problem that I'm having is that now I have a good way of tracking my to do list better, and it's really overwhelming. But at least i know what all i need to do and what i need to get done in a day. If I can get monday behind me, i'm planning on hunting tuesday. It's supposed to be 24 deg tuesday am. Good day to kill some ducks, or maybe just a deer, i wouldn't mind killing either.

No comments: