Sunday, September 24, 2006

Statements Of Fact & Deeper Truth

I was surprised today to receive an email that looked like a simple email, but the cryptic message was troubling. It was sent to several individuals, and it said "I haven't heard from many of you in a while..." Whilst that might indeed be true, (that the sender hasn't heard from the recipients), the more interesting thing could be that the sender hasn't made the effort to call them. How often do we like to say "she never calls" or "he never writes" and while that might be true, the underlying truth is that the person saying that, must not call or write as well.

This week was a particularly tough assignment, we had many plans that were made that didn't happen. Trips to NOLA, dinner parties, and more that were planned, and somehow things didn't work out, over and over again. C and I debated over these things, what the cause was, and "whos fault" it was that the plans fell through. Ultimately most things came down to some measure of selfishness and wanting to do our own things more than wanting to do what someone else wanted. So while the facts may have been that "it just didn't work our" or that "person X never calls" the deeper truth is just that -- deeper and truth. I'm not trying to be a philosopher but I do want to have some truth that I can leave with the world after I am gone. So like Confucius, I'll say "Chapman says 'people who complain about phone calls shouldn't write emails'".

No comments: